June 1, 2022
TQL Stadium; Cincinnati, Ohio
Pre-Game Coverage: 7 p.m. ET on ESPN2, UniMás and TUDN
Kickoff: 7:30 p.m. ET on ESPN2, UniMás and TUDN
Social Media: @USMNT on Twitter and instagram; US Soccer on Facebook The US Soccer App
Tonight’s USMNT Starting XI vs. Morocco: 1-Matt Turner; 22-Reggie Cannon, 3-Walker Zimmerman, 15-Aaron Long, 5-Antonee Robinson; 4-Tyler Adams, 11-Brenden Aaronson, 6-Yunus Musah; 21-Tim Weah, 9-Jesús Ferreira, 10-Christian Pulisic (capt.)
Subs: 25-Sean Johnson, 2-DeAndre Yedlin, 7-Paul Arriola, 8-Weston McKennie, 12-Erik Palmer-Brown, 14-Luca de la Torre, 16-Cristian Roldan, 17-Malik Tillman, 19-Haji Wright , 20-Cameron Carter-Vickers, 24-George Bello, 29-Joe Scally
GAME NOTES | FIVE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT MOROCCO
- USMNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Christian Pulisic (49), Walker Zimmerman (29), Tyler Adams (28), Antonee Robinson (26), Reggie Cannon (25), Aaron Long (24), Tim Weah ( 23), Brenden Aaronson (19), Yunus Musah (17), Matt Turner (17), Jesus Ferreira (10)
- Tonight’s Starting XI has an average age of 25 years, 35 days.
- The USMNT lineup averages 23 caps.
- Six players started the USA’s last match on March 30 in Costa Rica: defenders Walker Zimmerman and Antonee Robinson, midfielders Tyler Adams and Yunus Musah and forwards Christian Pulisic and Tim Weah. Striker Jesús Ferreira also came off the bench in that match.
- Center back Aaron Long earns his first start since the 2-1 win at Northern Ireland on March 28, 2021. After recovering from a ruptured Achilles suffered in May 2021, Long returned to the team during the March window, making two substitute appearances in the 0-0 draw at Mexico and 5-1 win against Panama.
- Goalkeeper Matt Turner, defender Reggie Cannon and midfielder Brenden Aaronson also return after missing out on the March window. The trio all last appeared in the 3-0 win against Honduras on Feb. 2, with Turner and Cannon starting the match and Aaronson coming off the bench in the 76th minute.
- Turner has conceded only six goals in 16 appearances since making his USMNT debut last July. With 11 career clean sheets, the 27-year-old ‘keeper already sits tied with Arnie Mausser for sixth all-time on the USMNT’s shutout list.
- After playing on the wing through most of the last year, Brenden Aaronson lines up in the midfield for the first time since the opening World Cup qualifier on Sept. 2, 2021 at El Salvador.
- Antonee Robinson is the only player to start all seven USMNT matches in 2022. Robinson has started each of the last 10 matches in which he’s been in camp, only missing out on the 1-0 win against Bosnia and Herzegovina during the team’s domestic training camp last December.
- Captaining the side for the ninth time tonight, Christian Pulisic is the other starter that will have appeared in all seven matches for the USA in 2022. Pulisic scored what stood as the game-winner in the team’s first appearance at TQL Stadium, coming in the 2-0 qualifying win against Mexico last November.
- Aaron Long and Walker Zimmerman pair in central defense for the first time since the 1-0 win against Costa Rica on Feb. 1, 2020. The USMNT is 6-1-0 when they partner together.
- Three substitutes could make their USMNT debuts tonight: defender Joe Scally, midfielder Malik Tillman and forward Haji Wright.
- A total of 53 players have earned their senior team debuts in the 50 matches under Gregg Berhalter, placing him third behind Bruce Arena (89 debuts in 159 matches) and Bob Bradley (60 debuts in 80 matches).
- Midfielder Kellyn Acosta, goalkeeper Ethan Horvath and forward Jordan Morris are not dressed for tonight’s match. Teams are allowed six substitutions.
- The USA is 0-3-0 all-time against Morocco. In the last meeting, the USMNT fell 1-0 on a 90th minute goal in a World Cup warmup match on May 23, 2006 in Nashville, Tenn.
- Ismael Cornejo of El Salvador is the referee for tonight’s match. He previously officiated the USMNT’s 2-1 friendly win against Ghana on July 1, 2017 in East Hartford, Conn.